[Dixielandjazz] Jean Paul Sartre & better

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 7 21:39:47 PST 2009

Robert R. Calder wrote [in part]:
> If anybody has the collection of essays on jazz which includes the
> abominable Sartre's essay on jazz they should post it on this site
> at once.
> ............JPS's overheated consciousness of a visit to New York in
> the late 1940s, specifically one venue -- what on this site is
> called an OKOM venue, like Condon, man!

Dear Robert,
I have the Jean-Paul Sartre essay 'Jazz in America' which was inspired
by Sartre's mid 1940s visit to Nick's in Greenwich Village. It was
published in 'Frontiers Of Jazz' by Ralph de Tolendano (1947, 1962.
Frederick Ungar Publishing  Co.). Sartre's piece also appeared, I
believe, in "Reading Jazz. A Gathering of Autobiography, Reportage,
and Criticism from 1919 to Now', edited by Robert Gottlieb. (1999.
Vintage.).
Sartre first visited the US in mid January 1945, stayed for five
months then returned in the winter of 1946.
Muggsy Spanier, Miff Mole and Pee Wee Russell were at Nick's at this
time. (Refer to the great Manhattan record dates of March 1945 issued
as 'Nick's Presents His Dixieland Band''. It's now on CD.) Muggsy was
at Nick's until the summer of 1947 then went to the Blue Note in
Chicago in November 1947.
I have located a reference to another Jean-Paul Sartre piece, "I
Discovered Jazz in America" (1947), which suggests that the original
'Jazz in America' piece could have been written in 1946-47.
However, I would doubt that it was a Condon band, as he had
established himself at his own premises in December 1945 and had not
played at Nick's after 1943 ["Most conspicuous absentees at Eddie
Condon's opening were some of Condon's fellow Chicagoans: Trombonist
Milfred ("Miff") Mole, Cornetist Francis Xavier ("Muggsy") Spanier,
who play a half mile away, at Nick's in the Village—where Condon
played until about two years ago." Time article Dec 31, 1945]
The Sartre 'Jazz in America' article does not mention any musicians by
name, only trumpet (a fat man), trombone, piano and bass.
Who were they? Spanier, Miff Mole and mates, or a small group filling
in on one of their nights off?
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: Regarding "Professor John Anderson, sometime of Sydney NSW". I met
him on several occasions back in the 1970s. He was a colleague of a
philosopher mate of mine, Keith Campbell of Sydney University.
PPS. Perhaps I should scan the 3-page Sartre article for those who
would like a copy. Copyright?
PPPS: I have a memory of a jazz-connection photograph of Sartre in the
US taken during the 40s. Where is it?