[Dixielandjazz] Fixing it in the mix

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jan 7 14:34:15 PST 2009

>Modern studio software and techniques make the fixing of studio goofs much
easier than in the past, so naturally producers and bandleaders will use the
technology to achieve a blemish-free product,.........
Ken Mathieson

Editing & mastering is a tool that can be used by the professional
musically. "Blemish-free" should never, ever be the goal.  However, a
blatant mistake can & should be removed to save an otherwise beautiful tune.
It is very true that a nasty mistake will be heard over & over again.

I recall one of those early-in-the-morning-after-the-gig recordings from the
50's (have to go find the LP), where a cork can be heard being pulled out of
a bottle.  Great fun, and adds to the feeling of being there.  That's not
the same as a trombonist that comes in just before the rest of the section
in Count Basie's band when backing Sinatra at the Sands.  I cringe for the
poor guy every time I hear that note, and just know he would hug & kiss me
if he knew how easy I could extract that note without the extraction causing
damage to the overall sound.

Besides, you can play back to back the two versions to see which is better,
before & after, then return to the original if it is better. By "back to
back" I mean running the two versions on two separate channels, bouncing
back & forth between the versions at the push of a button.
I do that on everything I do, then choose for the music...always!

We're talking tools, just like a mechanic working on a car.  The right tool
for the right job, and used in the proper manner, will get the job done
well.

Jim