[Dixielandjazz] Ringside at Condon's -- WHICH ONE?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 6 18:20:30 PST 2009

  M J (Mike) Logsdon wrote:
> At Amazon I find two CDs, one Savoy and one Heritage Jazz, both from
> the 90s.  Is one a better transfer than the other?  Any
> recommendations?

Dear Mike,
My apology for the delay in replying.
Busy as usual.
As no one else has commented, herewith are mine.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any reference or details for the
Heritage Jazz CD you mention.
However, there appears to be two Savoy CDs titled 'Ringside at Condons'.
One with 11 tracks (a reissue of the Savoy 12" LP 12055) including a
medley of 3 songs:
1. Dixieland One Step [*with skips in Ed Hall's solo]
2. Keepin' Out Of Mischief Now
3. Squeeze Me
4. Memphis Blues [*skip in coda drum break]
5. Dippermouth Blues
6. Sweet Georgia Brown
7. Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (And Dream Your Troubles Away)
8. Ballad Medley (Makin' Whoopee/You Made Me Love You/I Can't Give You
Anything But Love
9. Beale Street Blues
10. Mandy Make Your Mind Up
11. Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me

The other CD (probably from the two Savoy 10" LPs 15029 & 30, which
did not separate the titles into 'tracks', or the London reissue LZ-
C14004, which did as I recall) has 14 tracks:
1. Dixieland One Step
2. Keepin' Out Of Mischief Now
3. Squeeze Me
4. Memphis Blues [more skips]
5. Dippermouth Blues
6. Sweet Georgia Brown
7. Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (And Dream Your Troubles Away)
8. One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else
9. Just The Blues [aka: Blues For 1951]
10. Makin' Whoopee/You Made Me Love You
11. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
12. Beale Street Blues
13. Mandy Make Your Mind Up
14. Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me

I still have one the two 10" LPs (Savoy 15029) but no longer have the
12" LP (London LZ-C14004).
I do have the 11 track reissue CD on Japanese Savoy SV-0231 (1993
Nippon Columbia), which I believe predates the 1994 US Savoy CD reissue.
*The skips noted above are on the original 10" LP I have which has
very fine grooves. As also occurred on the US Columbia pressing of
"How Come You Do You Like You Do" (Jammin' At Condon's). And carried
through onto the disc in the Mosaic Condon CD set. However, this skip
is not on the Australia Coronet pressing.
Now, what to buy? Save your money and ignore the new copies on Amazon
at about US$33.00!
Why not locate and buy the new French Classics 1354 reissue? Or buy
the used Savoy CDs on Amazon.
I bought the French Classics CD back in 2004. It has all 14 titles
from the two Savoy 10" LPs, but arranged chronologically (as is usual
with Classics) plus 4 titles from the Columbia LP CL547 (24 November
1953).
Neither Worlds Records or Venerable Music have this one in stock at
the moment, but I believe Venerable are currently awaiting new stock
of recent Classics CDs.
I have no connection with Venerable Music, other than as a satisfied
customer and have always found Malcolm very helpful.

The music?
This stuff is taken from broadcasts direct from Condon's, warts and
all. And it is great.
I can see why our mate Steve Barbone still brags about being there.
Incidentally, Steve can be heard yelling out on "Mandy Make Up Your
Mind".
Just kidding.   8>)
Probably more than you needed to know, as is usual with me.
Kind regards,
Bill.