[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Condon

Brian Harvey brer.rabbit at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jan 4 04:28:47 PST 2009

The Condon "Coast to Coast" session was indeed an all-time classic but don't
forget also the "Ringside at Condon's" album which I think was issued or
reissued on Savoy. I found a reissue of some tracks (maybe all?) in the
"Classics" CD series. But are a little frenetic but good for all that. It
captured the exciting infectious nature of a live Condon session.
I have very fond memories of that great band - some from their UK tour when
I asked Gene Schroeder whether he preferred being on tour to being at
Condon's - "Sure" he replied "it beats staring at that f*****g wall every
night". And Wild Bill at London airport, when I asked what he looked forward
to doing in London, told me "finding a big bed and someone to romp with in
it".
And of course they introduced me to their travelling partner, who also
appeared on some albums - the legendary Jack Daniels.
Happy New Year everyone - Brian Harvey