[Dixielandjazz] More on Louie Bellson

Hal Vickery hvickery_80 at msn.com
Tue Feb 17 19:19:18 PST 2009

Nice stuff with the NIU Jazz Ensemble.  Bellson was one of my favorite drummers just because of his musicality.  I'll miss him.

I'm an NIU alumnus, and it is kind of gratifying that he played one of his last gigs with the Jazz Ensemble, a group that began when I was a student there around 1970.  An odd bit of trivia:  Apparently one of Bellson's last gigs was with the NIU Jazz Ensemble.  One of Duke Ellington's last gigs was at NIU, which named the ballroom in which the concert was played after him.

Hal Vickery