[Dixielandjazz] Betty Boop in India

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 15 09:27:51 PST 2009

Below is a snip from the NY TIMES. I've added a youtube link to part
of "Sita Sings The Blues". It is a stylized Indian (Hindu) version of
Betty Boop singing a neat version of: "Who's That Knockin At My Door"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BVg1WzS5Co&feature=related

Cheers,

Steve Barbone

www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Hindu Goddess as Betty Boop? It’s Personal

By MARGY ROCHLIN  OAKLAND, Calif.
WHAT do a 3,000-year-old Sanskrit epic, a ’20s-era jazz singer and
Indonesian shadow puppets have in common? They’re all part of the
eclectic cultural tapestry that is “Sita Sings the Blues,” an 82-
minute animated feature that combines autobiography with a retelling
of the classic Indian myth the Ramayana, and that required its
creator, the syndicated comic-strip artist Nina Paley, to spend three
years transforming herself into a one-woman moving-picture
studio. . . . . Because of an exception in the copyright act, public
television stations can broadcast music without having to clear
individual licenses, and “Sita” will be shown on the New York PBS
station WNET on March 7, after which it will be available on the
station’s Web site. “My thing,” Ms. Paley said in November, sounding
glum, “is that I just want people to see it.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BVg1WzS5Co&feature=related