[Dixielandjazz] Song: The Moonlight, A Sailboat and You

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Sat Feb 14 10:48:15 PST 2009

I heard a show recently on WKCR radio from Columbia University where
they were feathering Lester Young/Billie Holiday sessions.  The
commentator said Lester Young and the other players were working for a
radio station and were on call at the station where they played live
station breaks.  Each player, including Billie, would take over as the
leader of the group.  But what was interesting is that she was actually
singing jazz as verses just singing the written melody and not featured
later in the song and many vocalist were during that era.   Lester is
played an obligato  behind her and both are improvising and are true
musicians. This whole set of sessions are really cool.  You can go on
WKCR radio over the internet and receive the marathons that they do on
a famous jazz musicians birth date.  I don't know if they are saved as
pod casts, but that would be really cool if they were.
later,