[Dixielandjazz] 100 Club

john petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 12 16:44:48 PST 2009

I've not hear that 100 Club is going. I hope it is not true.
I played regularly on Saturday nights with Ken Sims Dixie Kings - a high
energy hot band, engaged for dancing. The line-up is more or less as
seen in this version of Stevedore Stomp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIbFNNAdvJY&feature=channel

I used to get £11 per gig. I was young and I didn't know any better.
Club owner, Roger Horton was a shrewd business man who could drive a
hard bargain with musicians who were eager to play at  100 Oxford St. It
was the premier club in the UK.

Twenty years ago, in May '89, my agent rang Roger to offer him the only
London date with the Legends of American Dixieland - the package I put
together for Wild Bill and Art Hodes.

She asked Roger for £1000. He said no. He obviously thought about it and
called back a few minutes later and offered us a percentage deal. We
took it and packed the place.

In recent times, Roger's son Geoff has taken over. There is still quite
a bit of jazz, but like all venues he presumably has to pay the rent, so
the musical policy diversifies.

Lots of happy memories though.

Keep swinging

John Petters