[Dixielandjazz] Willie & Wynton

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 11 14:02:04 PST 2009

Ron and Larry are discussing the 3 you tubes and whether they musos
are reading or not.

IMO, Wynton and The sax player are reading when they do harmony back
up and certain in chorus harmonic passages which would require some
long rehearsals to memorize. And maybe the drummer is even reading
some of Caldonia.

However, as I see it on full screen, the horns are definitely not
reading their solos. Easiest way to verify that is look at the sax
solo on Caldonia. He is not reading it.

Overall, IMO the in chorus and back up harmony is superb and reading
them makes it so.

Lets face it, these are BLUES tunes  (Bucket, Caldonia & Tain't
Nobody's Business) There is absolutely no reason why any jazz
musicians of their caliber would have to read the solos or changes and
I don't think they are.

However, the harmony riffs, and/or the drum breaks in Caldonia . . .
Thats another matter and what they have written out and are playing in
them in their backing of Willie Nelson is, IMO superb. It is precise
and it swings.

Reminds me a little bit of the John Kirby Sextet when Charlie Shavers
wrote for the band. Clean, and swinging.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband