[Dixielandjazz] European Recommendations?

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Fri Feb 6 14:34:47 PST 2009

Ron and all,

Third week of every February, there is Sancy Snow Jazz in Le Mont Dore.
This year the festival swings Feb 12-21, 2009.  Usually, Sancy Snow Jazz
runs Saturday to Saturday.  As 2009 marks the 20th anniversary, the
festival is a couple of days longer.

Sancy Snow Jazz : http://www.sancy-snowjazz.com
Le Mont Dore :
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.57515,2.806621&spn=0.013878,0.027637&t=k&z=15

We have a lot of great music.  Most of it free.  An augmented version of
Sac à Pulses usually opens the festival (this year the 12th) with a
parade.  This year, we are happy to have with us Michel "Boss" Quéraud
on trumpet, Francis Guéro on trombone and Morre Van Eyck on percussion.

Away from the parade, we are the house band of sorts and we often
feature a guest musician.  This year, it is the phenomenal Daniel Huck.
Last year, we had the phenomenal Allan Vaché.  Other Americans that have
played in the past include Eddie Erickson, Dan Levinson, Joe Muranyi,
Jimmy Mazzy, Eli Newbereger, the Reynolds Brothers, Sue Kroninger, Randy
Morris, Corey Gemme and Paul Scavarda.

Lillian Boutté will also be returning this year with the Gigolos, a
Louis Prima style band.

Most music is in the evening leaving the daytime for touristy stuff.
Or, you can ski here.  This is a good ski year; the slopes are well
covered.  A lot better than last year.

Let me know if you would like for info.

All the best, Gary

Ron Wheeler wrote:
> I'll be traveling in Europe beginning Monday for a couple of weeks.  We'll
> be in Paris from the 11th to the 15th, Prague from the 20th to the 24th and
> in southern Germany in between.  Any leads for live entertainment?
>
> Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know I'm a month early for Tamás Ittzés' big festival,
> and I hate that, but it can't be helped.  My son-in-law is traveling on
> business and my daughter and I are along for the ride.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Ron Wheeler

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson