[Dixielandjazz] Make Believe Ballroom & other radio shows

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 5 13:59:24 PST 2009

Martin Block also held live jam session s on the program. For an
interesting discussion of Martin Block and his jam sessions on Make
Believe Ball Room go to:

http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2008/12/70-years-of-martin-block-jam-session.html

You won't be disappointed because as you scroll down,  you can hear
some music that will knock your both of your socks off.

"The occasion was an episode of Martin Block’s WNEW radio broadcast,
which usually featured an assortment of stars from the world of swing.
Block threw a number of incredible jams in his studio, but none quite
like this. In reverse order of importance: Bob Spergel on guitar, Pete
Peterson on bass, George Wettling on drums (excellent choice), Bud
Freeman on tenor saxophone (one of the tops), Jack Teagarden on
trombone (oh man, it keeps getting better), Fats Waller on piano (are
you sweating yet?) and of course, Louis Armstrong on trumpet (smelling
salts, please!)." (Quoted from the site)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone