[Dixielandjazz] Make Believe Ballroom & other radio shows

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Thu Feb 5 11:11:36 PST 2009

Stephen G Barbone wrote:
> For Make Believe Ballroom CDs, you can get them at the below website
> also. There is 1 hour and 29 minutes of MBBR available.
>
> For old show radioheads, this site is a treasure trove if you surf it.
>
> http://www.radioshowcds.com/cd_martin_block_make_believe_ballroom.html
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone
> www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

> 270.4.3/1528 - Release Date: 7/1/2008 7:26 AM

CD's of Make Believe Ballroom broadcasts seem like something of a fudge.
As I understand it, Martin Block's show was one of the first disc jockey
shows, hence all the music played was already available on someone's
commercial records. Only the commentary, however much of that there was,
would be original.

There probably isn't much of this material around. It would have done
the owners of the music no particular good to transcribe his show and it
was very unlikely without prior arrangement with Block that any single
owner would own enough of a broadcast to make it feasible . Any
broadcasts that have survived were  probably dubbed on home recorders,
or, like the Eddie Condon Town Hall broadcasts, transcribed for
rebroadcast on the Armed Forces Radio Network, where ownership rights
were essentially waived or ignored. Whatever there is ought to surface
in Europe first, as this material may be viewed as out of copyright
there, but is still protected here.

Steve Holzer