[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Butterfield Tb - Was Cheer up

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 4 13:03:47 PST 2009

> Anton Crouch <anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hello all
>
> The recent discussion of the Eddie Cantor recording of "Cheer Up,
> Smile,
> Nertz!" was coincidental with my getting a copy of the Belle Baker
> song
> "Cheer up (good times are comin')"
>
> Recorded c. June 1930 for Brunswick, the piece is noted in Brian
> Rust's
> "Jazz records". The band accompanying Belle Baker is HOT, with some
> stand-out trumpet work.
>
> Rust gives the personnel as including ; Mike Mosiello, t; Charlie
> Butterfield, tb; and Andy Sannella, reeds.
>
> Does anyone know where this partial personnel comes from? No support
> for
> it can be found in Ross Laird's Brunswick discography.

Hello Anton:

I don't know where the list came from, but I did know trombonist
Charlie Butterfield. He free lanced a little jazz, mostly big band,
but his main gig was as a studio musician in New York City. He was
with the Phil Specht Orchestra in the 1920s as well as with Joe
Venuti's New Yorkers, back then. Later on he was in various bands that
backed Frank Sinatra. (Columbia)

He was also with "The Memphis Jazzers, a studio band that recorded for
Grey Gull Record Company, circa late 1920s. Mosiello, and Sannella
were also in that band. as were George Green, dms, Al Duffy violin and
Charlie Magnante, accordion. See http://www.vjm.biz/newpage4.htm for
more info about them and Brian Rust. Mosiello who is little known, was
a great player, often mistaken on record for King Oliver sometimes
when he felt like playing like Oliver.

That URL may raise more discographical questions than answers. <grin>

His son Kenny and I went to college together after our Army Service
(Hofstra & the NYU Law School) in the late 1950s. Kenny was a Jazz
trumpet player and leader of the Beale Street Stompers in the 50s-60s,
in which I played clarinet and sop sax.

Through Charlie, we met a bunch of jazz musicians who lived/worked in
the area, from Miff Mole to Tony Sbarbaro. When Beale Street had a six
month residency at the Melody Lounge, in Queens,  they would fall by
and sit in. Haggart, Erwin, Traeger, Pace, Lawson, Schroeder, Russo,
Maxted and a whole host of others.
It was a very heady time for us young guys.

Charlie was a wonderful player and a nice man who eagerly passed his
musical  knowledge on to all who were interested.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband