[Dixielandjazz] Cindy Leibe's award

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 4 09:51:54 PST 2009

Does it pay to be an musical activist? Well the below note from
Barbone Street Jazz Band trombonist, Ms. Cindy Leibe seems to indicate
YES. It also seems to dispel that old myth that there is no grant
money around, while reinforcing the adage that the harder/smarter one
works, the luckier one gets.

Cindy is 31, teaches in the New Jersey School system, and in her spare
time, plays the hell out of her trombone for Barbone Street, Connie
Francis, The Temptations, Barry Manilow and others.

You go girl.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Hey Steve:

Here are the particulars of the award. Felice Mancini told me they
will be sending an official letter and itinerary with complete details
shortly.

The award is from Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation, www.mhopus.org. (I
won an $8000 grant for my school for new instruments last year from
them). They choose 12 schools out of thousands of grant recipients
around the country and visit them. Advisory board member Gabriel
Kosakoff, former principal of the NY High School for Performing Arts
visited our kids and put together a report of my teaching and how the
school and students were using their grant.

He loved our program despite the fact that we work under adverse
conditions, no room, no budget money and not many instruments to lend
to needy families. I am not sure what specific qualities they look for
in teachers so cannot tell you why they chose me.

Out of the 12 schools, 5 teachers are chosen for the "Mr Holland's
Opus Foundation 'Music Teacheer of the Year Award,'" Based on Mr.
Kosakoff's report, a panel of judges picked me as one of the
recipients. Felice Mancini (Henry's daughter) contacted me with the
happy news. I am getting an all expense trip to NYC from April 2 to
April 5. Events there include a party at the home of the CEO of Guitar
Center and Musician's Friend, shows and other receptions.

The main event is attending Carnegie Hall where the NY Pops will
perform, and at a special ceremony, 4 other teachers and I will be
recognized and given a $10,000 check for personal use and a statue/
trophy. The awards will be presented by a celebrity who will remain a
surprise until the ceremony.

Wow! I am still in shock.

Love,
Cindy