[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Tue Feb 3 02:57:31 PST 2009

A part of the relevant entry in Brian Wood's coruscating "The Song for Me"  -

JAZZ FEST (or New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival)
Allegedly, these  days by most contemporary accounts, started in 1970 by
George Wein, and directed  by Quint Davis, in Congo Square as a relatively modest
affair. However, since  there was an earlier festival in 1968 marking the
250th anniversary of New  Orleans's founding, I prefer the earlier date. There was
a second "New Orleans  International Jazz Festival" in 1969. By 1972 the
Wein-led version had become  successful enough to move to the Fair Grounds, and
become the world's largest  jazz festival. The very first performance of the
Festival on April 22, 1970 was  a concert aboard the S.S. President, featuring
Pete Fountain and Clyde Kerr and  his Orchestra. The following year, Fountain
again opened Jazz Fest on the  riverboat, this time joined by Louis Cottrell's
Dixieland Jazz Band. The last  Jazz Fest riverboat concert took place on the
President on April 29, 1988. Full  name: the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage
Festival. This takes place over two  weekends - the last in April and the first in
May at the New Orleans Fairgrounds  racetrack. Go via Esplanade and Gentilly
and go early (Thursday is marginally  the quietest) as it gets extremely
crowded. We queue; the locals stand in line;  either way it's worth it. For me the
Gospel tent is a must, but there's  something for everyone. Do not take
recording devices (other than still cameras)  - they frisk you as you enter!