[Dixielandjazz] For the banjo players

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 2 07:21:07 PST 2009

February 2, 2009 - NY TIMES - By Dave Itzkoff
Jokes and Films Are Fun, but He Loves His Banjo

It wasn’t easy to silence the set of “Saturday Night Live,” which at
Friday evening’s rehearsal was a cacophony of banging hammers, buzzing
saws and chattering crew members, but Steve Martin did it with a banjo.

On the main stage of NBC’s Studio 8H in Manhattan, wielding a Gibson
Florentine from the 1920s and accompanied by a quintet of bluegrass
musicians, Mr. Martin was plucking, strumming and, yes, singing his
way through an original song called “Late for School,” about a young
delinquent racing to beat the tardy bell. The hoedown brought the room
to a halt, and when it was over even the surliest stagehands couldn’t
help but stand and applaud.

In his mercurial career Mr. Martin, 63, has gone from manic, rabbit-
eared stand-up comedian to introspective memoirist. He has made movies
for Carl Reiner (“The Jerk”) and David Mamet (“The Spanish Prisoner”)
alike. Through his many incarnations a banjo has never been far from
his reach, whether the instrument was an integral part of his act or a
tool to help him unwind in private.

Now Mr. Martin is once again in the musician’s role as he releases an
album called “The Crow: New Songs for the Five-String Banjo.” The
record (which is being sold exclusively as a download on Amazon.com,
until April 26, when it also will be released by 40 Productions as a
CD) is a token of his affection for bluegrass, with appearances by
performers like Vince Gill and Dolly Parton. But it is also an
opportunity to show off one of his less celebrated, least commercial
skills, and to reimmerse himself in a musical genre he never fully
gave up.

“It’s a secret world,” he said of bluegrass in an interview at his
“SNL” dressing room, where his banjo sat beside him in its case like a
baby in a bassinet. “It’s a big world, but it’s thin. And it doesn’t
make the news, which is actually quite fantastic.”

Mr. Martin, who came of age in Orange County, Calif., in the early
1960s, recalled the era as one when folk groups like the Kingston Trio
and bluegrass bands like the Dillards were at their peak. Having
decided to become an entertainer, Mr. Martin seized on the banjo as
one more element he could add to an all-purpose act.

“I needed everything,” said Mr. Martin, who in person is more reserved
than his on-screen characters but excitable once he starts talking
about music. “I did jokes, I did juggling, did magic. I put the banjo
in just really to fill time, so I’d have enough to call it a show.”

But as Mr. Martin learned the instrument, friends could see a fussy
perfectionism emerging.

“I had a proficiency for picking notes off records,” said John McEuen,
a childhood pal who went on to join the country-rock group the Nitty
Gritty Dirt Band. “I’d show Steve what I learned. About halfway
through he’d go, ‘That’s enough,’ and take off on his own.”

As his stand-up career blossomed, Mr. Martin wrote and performed
satirical banjo tunes (“Grandmother’s Song,” “Ramblin’ Guy”) as well
as original bluegrass songs that drew unintended laughs. And as he
became known in other capacities — playwright, art collector, Academy
Awards host — his musical skills were mostly forgotten by the public.
(“Not that they’re supposed to remember,” Mr. Martin said.)

But starting in 2001 he began a banjo resurgence. That year Earl
Scruggs, the bluegrass pioneer, asked him to play on a recording of
the song “Foggy Mountain Breakdown” for the album “Earl Scruggs and
Friends.” In 2007 he contributed an original composition, “The Crow,”
to the Tony Trischka album “Double Banjo Bluegrass Spectacular.”

That track, on which Mr. Martin and Mr. Trischka performed together,
became Mr. Martin’s first hit single since 1978’s “King Tut.” “It made
the bluegrass charts,” Mr. Martin said. “I don’t know how much that
means. It might have sold two.”

Newly invigorated, Mr. Martin recorded more of his original banjo
songs on an iPod, and gave them to Mr. McEuen, who added fuller
arrangements by computer. Using those tracks as their blueprints, the
two produced much of the “Crow” album in a frenzied week at a studio
in Englewood, N.J., with excursions to Nashville to record with Ms.
Parton and Mr. Gill (who sing a duet called “Pretty Flowers”), and to
Dublin to record with the folk singer Mary Black.

If Mr. Martin’s collaborators believed his comedy background meant he
didn’t take music seriously, those notions were quickly dispelled.
“The first image I have of him is the arrow through his head, playing
the banjo,” Mr. Gill said. “Everybody does. But when you hear him
play, you know he’s not goofing around.”

Among country and bluegrass musicians, Mr. Martin is regarded as a
master of a difficult five-fingered playing style known as clawhammer
or frailing, in which the instrument’s strings are pushed down by
fingernails, rather than pulled up with picks.

“I know I can’t play it,” said Mr. Scruggs, for whom the traditional
three-fingered Scruggs style is named. “So it’s a challenge for me.”

Mr. Martin also owns a collection of vintage banjos — not counting
those that he experiments with or takes on vacation — including two
Depression-era Gibson Florentines and a Gibson Granada, which he
displays in the living room of his California home.

“It’s just a signal, if musicians come over, we can play,” Mr. Martin
said. With mock decorum, he added, “It’s a signal for guests to say,
‘Steve, would you mind playing something?’ ”

They are also a reminder of Mr. Martin’s stature in the bluegrass
pantheon. A few years ago Mr. Scruggs’s wife, Louise, mentioned that
the Gibson instruments he and her husband owned were worth $200,000
each. “I go, ‘My God, I’ve got three of them!’ ” Mr. Martin said.
Panicked, he contemplated insuring the banjos and became fearful of
leaving them unattended in his house.

Then Mr. Martin phoned George Gruhn, an appraiser and dealer of
vintage instruments in Nashville. As Mr. Martin recalled, “I said,
‘George, I hear these Florentines are worth some money.’ He said, ‘Oh,
yeah.’ ” Indeed, the banjos owned by Mr. Scruggs were nearly priceless.

Mr. Martin gingerly inquired about his own instruments. “With your
name attached?” he was told. “Eight thousand dollars.”

With chagrin Mr. Martin added, “And he was right.”