[Dixielandjazz] Foolish Questions

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Feb 1 20:42:09 PST 2009

Whenever an "Old-Timey" song is in question, the first place I look is www.mudcat.org
  - they have tons of 'em!

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?ThreadID=2335

- Recorded by Sheb Wooley - -(aka Ben Colder)
also by
Bill Haley - 1949
Johnny Cash - 1965
Sandy Bradley & The Small Wonder String Band - 1982
Jackie Washington - 2000
Ken Galipeau - 2001

Also recorded by:
Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith; Walt Brown; Woods Tea Co.
Written by Arthur Smith

There seems to be a problem with the exact tune of the song - several
different versions have been recorded - so you might have to search
further (or just listen to the Johnny Cash version, probably the most
readily available
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqfI3rYPLgo  (kind of a "non-tune" tune
if you ask me!)

Dave Richoux

Y'all have heard about Foolish Questions, and no doubt you've wondered
why
The person who would ask them, expects a sensible reply
Did you ever bring your girl a box of candy, say, right after tea
D'ja notice how she'll grab it, and she'll say "Is this for me?"

Foolish Questions, you should answer when you can
No, the candy's for you daddy and mama and John the hired hand
I just wanted you to see it, now I'm gonna take it away
Wasn't that a Foolish Question, you'll hear 'em nearly every day.

You all have seen the man, who meets you on your way
He'll ask you, "Where you are goin", and he'll listen while you say
"That you're goin' to the funeral, of poor old Brother Ned"
And just as soon as you told him, he'll say, "Is Ned dead?"

Foolish Questions, this should be your reply
No, we'd thought we'd have the funeral and then later on he'd die
Brother Ned is so original, he wanted it that way
Now wasn't that a Foolish Question, you'll hear 'em nearly every day.

Suppose an elevator boy forgets to close that door
And you should tumble down the shaft, say, like twenty-seven floors
As you reach the bottom, and you're layin' there inert
The first person that comes along, will say, "Are you hurt?"

Foolish Questions, your dyin' words are "No-o-o"
"I was in an awful hurry, and this elevator runs too slow
I find I save an awful lot of time, by comin' down this way"
Now wasn't that a Foolish Question, you hear 'em nearly every day.