[Dixielandjazz] View from the Loft-two excellent articles

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Dec 29 06:42:16 PST 2009

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list; DJML

From: Norman, Jazz Society of Pensacola

View from the Loft—

Here are two excellent articles about W. Eugene Smith—photographer and jazz
enthusiast who lived in a loft on 6th AVE in NYC in the 60s.  I caught the
first one on NPR by accident – you can read/and or listen.  The NY Mag
article has a story and some photos taken from the loft window.  It ain’t
Dixieland but if one has only a narrow musical perspective, he’d miss
Mozart, Beethoven, Bach—Miles and Diz! (smile).  There will be no quiz, so
reading/listening, as always, is optional!

I was surprised to learn that the project is so massive!

In The '60s, A Musicians' Loft In Flux
<http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kuar/kuar/arts/article/9/1338/1593260/Peo
ple/In.The.'60s..A.Musicians'.Loft.In.Flux>

KUAR -
<http://news.google.com/news/search?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=author%3A%22Z
orba+Paster%22&scoring=n> Zorba Paster - ‎Dec 28, 2009‎

The arrival of a new decade heralded new styles of music, and new
challenges, for the jazz artists who met up at 821 Sixth Ave. in New York.

The View From <http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/62876/>  His Window

New York Magazine -
<http://news.google.com/news/search?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=author%3A%22F
red+Kaplan%22&scoring=n> Fred Kaplan,
<http://news.google.com/news/search?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=author%3A%22S
am+Stephenson%22&scoring=n> Sam Stephenson - ‎Dec 27, 2009‎

Every obsessive deserves his own obsessive Boswell, and W. Eugene Smith has
his in Sam Stephenson. Smith was mid-century America's greatest ...

--END--