[Dixielandjazz] Gypsy Jazz-- article and video from Voice of America

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Sat Dec 19 17:39:07 PST 2009

Thanks Norman! I really enjoy this type of music. One of the best bands
of this genre is in California - the Hot Club of San Francisco. We had
them at our Wine Country Vintage Jazz Festival about 5 years ago and
they were very well received. I wish more trad jazz festivals would
include one band of this genre - it might help bring in a wider audience
who would then discover OKOM while they're at it.

We have a nice band in St. Louis that plays this style music, the Hot
Club Caravan. Interestingly though, they have a harmonica player in
place of a violinist. Now I usually cringe when I see a harmonica player
approach the stage at a jazz event, but this guy is really good and it
somehow fits perfectly with the music style. I found myself very happily
surprised and really enjoyed their concert when I saw the band recently.

Cheers,
Beth