[Dixielandjazz] White Christmas

Dick Sleeman dick at sleeman.nl
Fri Dec 18 09:32:19 PST 2009

Fred wrote a.o:

>I am nonplussed. I must remind you that this is a "Dixieland jazz"
> discussion group. As such, no discussion of chords more
> sophisticated than
> the major triad, minor triad, major minor seventh (dominant
> seventh),
> perhaps added sixth, and diminished seventh are permissible.
> You are forgiven this time, but in the future please desist from
> such transgressions.

Fred, I take it that you meant this not so rigid as it sounds :-) but
please reread what it says on

<http://www.islandnet.com/~djml/> where it says:

 "... The list is open to everyone ... as well as to (Dixieland Jazz)
musicians and aficionados."

Well, I am a musician and an aficionado and I sometimes like to
discuss more than things like which Armstrong recording I like best
or where I am going to play or have played before.

But I hear you and will try to refrain from technicalities that might
confuse non-musicians.

Stephen wrote a.o:

> Damn, I knew it all along, Bix was one of those damn Be Boppers.
> <grin> As was Pee Wee Russell who made liberal use of chord
> extensions
> and flatted fifths way back in the 1920s. Who else sinned in this
> manner? Listen and ye shall hear.
>
> Lets give Dixieland a little credit. It is one hell of a lot more
> than
> triads, sevenths, an added sixth and a diminished seventh here and
> there.

Thank you Steve! It is my belief that those 'transgressions' as Fred
calls them, are most of the time dictated by the melody. I made up a
small list of titles for clarification. They are all OKOM, in my
opinion:

  1 - After You've Gone
  2 - Big Butter and Egg Man
  3 - I'll be a Friend with Pleasure
  4 - I'm gonna sit right down
  5 - Rockin' Chair
  6 - Struttin' with some Barbecue
  7 - You've changed
  8 - Way down yonder in New Orleans
  9 - When it's sleepy time down South
10 - Misty

In each and everyone you'll find melody notes that lead to
extensions from the standard chords.

Cheers (it's not even Christmas but it's already White :-))

Dick Sleeman