[Dixielandjazz] "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" and Sophie Tucker

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 17 21:58:38 PST 2009

 Bill Haesler wrote:
> Including the following in a short internet biography:
> "The composer also worked the song into a show he wrote for Broadway in 1927. For this production, simply entitled "Vaudeville," the song was performed by the great Sophie Tucker."

Sorry Ginny,
I neglected to add that the composer mentioned was Eddie Green, author of "A Good Man Is Hard To Find".
I have been unable to find any reference in my book collection to that particular 1927 Broadway production.
The following by Robert Cahill:
  http://www.robertcashill.com/now/almanac.html
seems to indicate why:

"1927—A record 264 plays and musicals open in the 1927-1928 Broadway season. Musical revues and operettas predominate, with contributions from stage legends like Irving Berlin, Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart, George and Ira Gershwin, and Oscar Hammerstein’s grandson, Oscar Hammerstein II. Hammerstein and composer Jerome Kern break new ground in musical theater by adapting Edna Ferber’s book Show Boat, with its novelistic plot, mixture of white and black characters, and its serious themes, for the stage. It opens at the Ziegfeld on Dec. 27 and with popular standards like “Ol’ Man River” runs a record 572 performances."

Kind regards,
Bill.