[Dixielandjazz] Stardust based on a Bix Lick?

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Thu Dec 10 13:29:14 PST 2009

To: DJML

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Craig Johnson wrote:

>In a chat with Marty Grosz after one of his concerts, Marty told me that
Stardust (which used to be played much faster than it currently >is) was
based on some (practice?) licks played by Bix Beiderbecke.

>My memory of the exact details of the above are dim, but to me the
interesting parts are 1. Bix's influence 2. The tempo

Craig:  I wasn't there at the conception of Stardust, either. It is my
understanding from discussion with others, including the late Rich Johnson,
that  the descending notes of the verse (" And now the purple dusk of
twilight time." to Stardust was based on a Bix lick!  It is likely that all
on this list know that Bix and Hoagy were great friends.

Norman