[Dixielandjazz] Ory's Creole Trombone

Bert Brandsma dixieorkest at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 7 22:05:00 PST 2009

Hi Don,

In a way I can feel where the opinion comes from. On the other hand, it is a multi-strain piece with also historic interest as it is on the first jazz record by an Afro-american band. 1922 by Kid Ory's Sunshine Orchestra, before the famous King Oliver records came out (1923).

Of course, as always, it is what you make of it. There is a great rendition recorded by Roy Williams. I guess with the Swedish Jazz Kings, but am not sure if that was the band.

Our band usually has lots of succes with it, as many people are surprised to hear a woman play like that.

Kind regards,

Bert