[Dixielandjazz] Ory's Creole Trombone

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Mon Dec 7 14:57:19 PST 2009

Bert Brandsma wrote:
> Just uploaded a new video to youtube :
>
> Ory's Creole Trombone, featuring Selena on the slide. (2004)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoOxEJawHhs
>

> Alas youtube didn't make it to keep the audio and video syncronised, but anyway hope you will enjoy it.
>

> Have a nice day
>

> Bert

Pardon my odd-line chuckling, but in the five years  I worked in the
house band at Jazz Ltd.in Chicago ( '63-'68), every trombone player to
work there cringed when the "boss", owner-clainetist Bill Rhinehardt,
called out Ory's Creole Trombone. They hated it with a passion, but the
"boss" srote the checks so no palace revolt ever ensured. The players,
Dave Rasbury, Jim Beebe, Dave Remington, and a few other short term subs
universally thought it was more a circus or vaudvulle/minstrel show
piece, not a good jazz work, but the customers loved it.
I - just a mere trumpet player - smiled to myself, happy indeed that the
"boss" was not calling out the lip-buster on West End Blues he might
have to inflictchops pain on me.
"Oh, good," I thought, "let them have the pain," smirking quietly at the
sullen slip horners.
By the way - played by the Canadian Brass , as on one concert I heard, I
think they, cringers all,  might have changed their mind about the tune.
Don Ingle