[Dixielandjazz] Standard Keys

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 15:29:02 PST 2009

Hi Bob et al,

This sounds as though it dates from before Hawk's 1939 version, which
established Db as the standard key. Before then, I imagine that a lot of
musicians played it in the published key of C. From what you've written, it
sounds as if the first 24 bars constitute the verse (4 in C, 8 in F and 12
in D). I used to have a song copy (in C) with the verse, but it's long gone,
so I can't check.

The refrain you mention must be the chorus in the original home key of C.
The first 16 in C check out, as do the next 4 (i.e. the first 4 of the
bridge) in Db. I'm struggling with the next 4 (i.e.last 4 of the bridge)
though. They would normally be in B natural (if the home key of the piece is
C) with chords running as follows:
¦¦ C#m7 / F#7 / ¦¦ D#m7 / Ddim / ¦¦ C#m7 / F#7 / ¦¦ B7 Bb7 A7 / ¦¦. (i.e.
it's basically a II V I resolution with a detour in bar 2). This would lead
into the melody's last 8 (in C) starting with a chord of Dm. I'm struggling
to understand how the melody could work in the last 4 of the bridge if it
were pitched in E as that should give chords of:
¦¦ F#m7 / B7 / ¦¦ G#m7 / Gdim / ¦¦ F#m7 / B7 / ¦¦ E7 Eb7 D7 / ¦¦

This would logically lead to the first chord of the last 8 being a Gm, which
would put the last 8 in the key of F. What chords are used in your
transcription for the last 4 of the bridge? I'm not familiar with Goodman's
recordings of Body and Soul. Could this be from a trio or quartet recording?
I'd like to hear what they got up to as it's perfectly possible that
musicians of the ingenuity of Goodman, Teddy Wilson and Lionel Hampton could
invent a passage that took the bridge into the harmonically different and
distant key of E and then resolved it back in to C to start the last 8 on a
Dmin. I also think that musicians of their calibre would have no trouble
negotiating the chords of Body and Soul in any key.

Why am I getting so excited by this? I'm a drummer for gawd's sake!
Does anyone have a lead sheet with verse for Body and Soul (in any key)?

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk