[Dixielandjazz] Standard Keys

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Mon Dec 7 13:56:10 PST 2009

Dear Ken,

I have a lead sheet with piano score for "Body And Soul", that is probably a
transcription of a Benny Goodman version.
The first four bars are in C followed by eight bars in F. Then come twelve
bars in D. Next is the refrain in C (16 bars). This is followed by four bars
in Db, before switching to E for four bars, and then to C for eight bars -
the refrain is repeated before the final three bars in C.

I imagine this version is designed to scare off any would-be copyists, as it
must be difficult for other than competent professionals to play this in a
band, as the wind instruments will have trouble with D and E, and the string
instruments trouble with Db, but mostly the frequent key changes will
probably cause the most trouble.

Kind Regards

Bob Smith