[Dixielandjazz] Lots of Flats or Sharps

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sun Dec 6 11:56:51 PST 2009

Dave Stoddard wrote:

> ... valved brass instruments are harder to
> play in sharp keys than they are in flat
> keys.

I would agree.

> When you only have three or four valves to
> press down, no individual note is harder to
> play than any other.

I would agree with regard to notes in the heart of a player's
comfortable range. However, as one moves to the highest or lowest
parts of a player's range, individual notes become more difficult.
Which notes (i.e., how high or how low), and how difficult, will
be different for each player.

> The problem lies in the combinations of valve
> fingerings to play a phrase.  They are more
> difficult in the sharp keys.  It's strictly
> in the fingerings, not in the embouchure changes.

Again, I agree.

> As Charlie Hull observes, practice can help overcome
> this. ... It's easier to play the flat keys because
> the combinations are easier.  For a Bb instrument,
> the easiest keys of Bb, F and Eb often involve
> pushing down one valve at a time.

More important, the notes in these keys (on an instrument whose
fundamental pitch is Bb Concert) are almost all Open, 1, 2, or
1&2, using the two strongest fingers. The more awkward fingerings
come into play when the third valve is required, as it's operated
by the ring finger which is (for most of us) a weaker and less
agile finger.

> However, anything sharper than G is going to be a challenge
> for all but the best players.

I assume you mean "anything with more sharps than G..."

Personally, I find that the keys of D and E lay well for me on a
BBb tuba. I don't like G or A as well, because of the low B (and
in A, the low C#) are more awkward. Again we're talking awkward
fingerings here.

> I play tuba in a symphony orchestra, and have become better
> at playing sharp keys because much string music is pitched in
> sharp keys.  I can play reasonably well in D, but hope that
> anything sharper than that has a relatively simple bass part.

I also play in a symphony orchestra, a smaller community
orchestra. When we have a rehearsal and there are no (string)
basses, I'll often read their part, just to help the rest of the
orchestra hear the part. Things can get pretty hairy if you're
reading, for example, the Borodin Second Symphony (B Major - 5
sharps).

Since I also own tubas in C, Eb and F, I'll often use those for
pieces with more sharps (provided it's historically appropriate
for the composer and work in question). Passages that are awkward
on one tuba may be easier on a tuba built in another key. Having 4
valves (as on my BBb), 5 valves (as on the CC and Eb) or 6 valves
(as on the F tuba) can make things a bit easier, too, as the
number of alternate fingerings available increases dramatically.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA