[Dixielandjazz] Lots of Flats or Sharps

Dave Stoddard dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Sun Dec 6 09:23:36 PST 2009

Ken Gates observed:

As a closet clarinet player, I understand the awkward fingering of the scales
of keys with 5 or 6 sharps or flats.  Where is the difficulty of the trumpet
player in those keys?  The 3 fingers involved don't look difficult as I look at
a fingering chart---it surely must be awkward changes in lip/tongue etc
positions?  Is that it?

As a lifetime brass valve player (cornet/trumpet.flugelhorn, tuba, euphonium, valve trombone), I can state that valved brass instruments are harder to play in sharp keys than they are in flat keys.  When you only have three or four valves to press down, no individual note is harder to play than any other.  The problem lies in the combinations of valve fingerings to play a phrase.  They are more difficult in the sharp keys.  It's strictly in the fingerings, not in the embouchure changes.

As Charlie Hull observes, practice can help overcome this.  However, anything sharper than G is going to be a challenge for all but the best players.  It's easier to play the flat keys because the combinations are easier.  For a Bb instrument, the easiest keys of Bb, F and Eb often involve pushing down one valve at a time.

I play tuba in a symphony orchestra, and have become better at playing sharp keys because much string music is pitched in sharp keys.  I can play reasonably well in D, but hope that anything sharper than that has a relatively simple bass part.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard