[Dixielandjazz] OKOM

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Wed Aug 26 07:28:52 PDT 2009

Different terms mean different things to different people.

Define "Swing," "Bebop," "West Coast" or (my favorite) "Chicago style."
None of us are going to do it exactly the same way.

"Dixieland" has the same kind of issues, but represented a fairly limited
vision of what was/should be played. "OKOM" retains a stylistic
concept/limitation but greatly broadens the horizons within that concept.
It identifies stylistic elements separated from Bebop or Swing, but doesn't
remain within the confines of Dixieland.

It would seem to me that it reinforces the ideas being presented here rather
than limiting them.

I do use "OKOM" in posting things on EBay, as well as their somewhat
limiting "Dixieland."  But deciding how to fit EBay's categories is a
crapshoot anyway.  Jim, if I'm out of line using OKOM there, let me know and
I'll stop! (Grin)

Mart

Martin D. McKay, Designated Listener

(On EBay as MacJazz with some pretty good OKOM LPs up---another shameless
commercial)