[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Equipment "Schlepping"

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Fri Aug 21 14:32:57 PDT 2009

Shalom Jazz Fans,

My band plays acoustic except for a small battery powered amp for vocals.
About 3 years ago I bought an old Volvo station wagon that has enough room
to schlep all of the equipment we need, and 5 players. Everyone carries his
own ax and uniform and anything else he needs, and generally there are
enough extra hands for the box of CDs, the washboard, etc.

Before I got the car, I lived here for 10 years taking buses and taxis
everywhere. My rule of thumb was, if I can't carry it with me on the bus, I
don't need it. Worked for a long time.

Looks like I will be giving up my car again in a couple months, and back to
the bus. I am also dealing with the aging bod syndrome, and I might have to
cut down on playing multiple instruments in the band gigs. Hard to choose,
though.

I am happy to report that suddenly my Doctor Jazz band has relatively a lot
of gigs. We have a great August and September, and the gigs we have are
generating a lot of new interest.

We played at a street festival this week for 2 nites on a street corner. The
several stges were set up for bands with names, which we so far are not so
much. But the organizer told us at the end of the gig that we drew and held
larger crowds than any of the bands on the stages (who by the way were
probably payed 5 times as much as we were). We have another gig with this
organizer next month. Hopefully the draw we demonstrated this week will not
be lost on them.

Blessings from Israel,

Elazar
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band