[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Equipment "Schlepping"

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Aug 20 13:51:56 PDT 2009

I carry a PA head in my truck all the time along with a pair of speakers.
The speakers are 12" Peavy and compared to others are very lite.  They weigh
in the 20 pound range.  I have gone to a lighter Barager combo amp for most
of my gigs vs. the 15" Eon powered speakers.  The weight is actually about
the same but the Barager sits on my rock and roller from the parking lot to
where I play to the truck without lifting it off the R&Roller.  I also went
to the small rock and roller which weighs about half of the medium size and
only a fraction of the largest one.  The smallest Rock and roller does not
need to be folded up each time except I do fold down one end so I can slide
my tenor in the back of my van (Pontiac) on it.  The Rock and roller, tenor,
soprano, equipment case, stands, stools and two amps fit very nicely in the
back of my van and everything except a mike stand fits on the rock and
roller.  It fits too but wants to slide off all the time.

My time from the time I park in a typical parking lot to playing is 15
minutes if I am in a hurry.  Just a little longer to tear down and get out
of a place.  Most of the time I am using one horn, one amp and one music
stand.  This works out nice especially since I hurt my back a few months ago
and I don't want to repeat the trick.

Since I'm not getting younger I'm installing an electric winch and lift in
the back of my larger van to pick up amps and sit them on the rock and
roller and put them back in my truck.  This has cost less than $200 for what
I am doing.  BTW Harbor Freight sells a lift that goes in a receiver for a
trailer hitch and will lift from the ground to the back of a truck.  It
looks like to me that it would work good on a van too.  They put them on
sale occasionally for $200.  It consists of a platform that is lowered or
raised electrically then it swings up behind the car or truck.  I'm thinking
about maybe adding one of these for my Pontiac van because the 4 foot pickup
truck hydraulic lift (crane arm ) won't fit in the smaller van.  My larger
truck has a full size opening and is about 4' tall by a little more than 4'
wide so the pickup lift fits almost exactly.  I got the 12 volt electric
winch for $49 and the pick up truck lift for $119.  I'm going to use a
separate battery to power it with so that will be about another $30 or so.
I will be finished in a couple of weeks with my van lift so if anyone wants
a photo I will send it.

I'm using a hydraulic lift table cart for my amps.  I pump the foot pedal a
few times so the table is level with my truck bed.  Slide the amp onto the
table and roll it into my garage.  That cost just a little over $100.

Just trying to save the old and getting older back.
Larry
StL