[Dixielandjazz] Follow-up to Shameless Plug

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Wed Aug 19 16:47:22 PDT 2009

Hi All,

On 1 August I posted a shameless plug for my band's concert with Alan Barnes at the Edinburgh Jazz Festival, where we played a programme of the music of Benny Carter. Our concert preceded one by a band led by Dick Hyman and the reviews in the local press amalgamated the reviews of the two concerts into a single review (sneaky editors' trick to pay the reviewer one fee for covering two concerts). Here are links to the reviews:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/featurespopandjazz/display.var.2524103.0.Dick_Hyman_European_AllStars_Ken_Mathieson_Classic_Jazz_Orchestra.php
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/gig-reviews/Jazz-review-Dick-Hyman39s-European.5527631.jp

The concert was recorded and filmed, so eventually the guilty men will be viewable on YouTube. I'll let you know when that happens so you can all have a laugh. The sound recording is pretty good in terms of sound quality, ensemble and solo playing. It was, as is usual at many festivals, put together in great haste, with rehearsals right up to the last minute, so you can really feel the band is sitting on the edge of their seats. Very exciting and dangerous stuff! It may eventually surface as a double CD, so again I'll let you know when it escapes into the wild.

Regards,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk