[Dixielandjazz] Schlepping Equipment

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 18 13:24:11 PDT 2009

To those who are hiring roadies. <grin>

At my age, 75 +, schlepping my sound equipment is a chore. Here's what
works for us. We tell all of our clients that we are old folks who
need help. Those who already know us and re-book us are cool with it.

1) Outdoor Gigs:

Insist on driving right up to the bandstand. Or, if wet ground,
necessitates a walk of more than 50 feet, insist on help.

Like at equestrian events where we park in a lot 300 yards from out
venue, the organizers assign golf carts and drivers to us at
performance start and finish times

2) Indoors:

At Colleges, the kids carry our stuff, or assign frat pledges to do
so. Some have carried our equipment up several flights of stairs. Same
for Swing Dances at Ballrooms.

At other locations, we always are permitted to unload close by the
door, or the band stand.

Seems most folks are very glad to help out the aged musicians. I have
not invested in a cart yet because we always get help from either the
promoters or the audience. The drummer who has a cart is always amazed
that our band gets so much help.

Simple, old folks, ask for it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone