[Dixielandjazz] CD Jewel Box or Cardboard cover?

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Sun Aug 9 10:00:46 PDT 2009

Bob;

There is actually a third option which is a cardboard case as thick as a
normal CD with labeling on the spine. Inside the case which opens like a
normal jewel case, is a plastic holder for the CD on one side and a place
for the liner notes which is either glued to the other side or placed in a
sleeve. This packaging was used by Verve, Bluebird (RCA), Riverside and
other manufacturers.

Decca also issued the thin cardboard packaging resembling an LP with the CD
title on the spine. Similar to the LP, Decca shrunk the liner notes to fit
the smaller package size. Because of this, I kept the LP in my collection. I
would have needed a high-power microscope to read their notes.

I have no preference between the plastic and the full-size cardboard
packages. My only concern is that the font size of the liner notes is large
enough to be easily readable. It should also be black type on a white
background.

I hope this helps.

Stan
Stan Brager