[Dixielandjazz] WSJ, Can Jazz Be Saved?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 8 15:07:54 PDT 2009

> David Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com> wrote:
>
> There was a recent public performance in New York by a new 12 piece
> ensemble called Asphalt Orchestra. Instrumentation is about the same
> as a New Orleans Brass Band. The members are young-ish and play in a
> lot of other New York area bands - with some effort put into costume
> and visual performance, rehearsal and arrangements of some rather
> complicated jazz/modern composition/world music pieces, they were able
> to play to a mixed audience with some success. Here are some articles
> about the band and the gig,
>> http://www.playbillarts.com/features/article/8082.html
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/07/arts/music/07asphalt.html?_r=1
>
> and a radio studio performance (NOT OKOM!!! - just warning you to not
> expect a classic Jass piece, but some of us might like it ;-)
> http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/episodes/2009/08/05    scroll
> down a bit )
>
> With this (and other )  "mainstream" coverage of bands that have
> developed out of the recent "Street Band" music culture I have been
> mentioning over the last few years, maybe this is one of the
> directions Jazz may be heading for the next few decades? Not the
> "cultured concert Head Music" but fun, funky, danceable, music
> produced by "average" musicians that is happening all over the
> world... not exactly jazz, but something like it?

Or then again, maybe if we Dixieland bands targeted the young and made
the music relevant to them, we would get a young audience interested?

This has been working for Barbone Street for the past 15 years. I now
see it with newer young bands like the street bands Dave mentions,
Loose Marbles, Baby Soda Primate Fiasco and others.

Guess what? We, and they are playing OKOM jazz. Proof? Google them or
go to our myspace page below and listen to us.

Teachout may not know how to get a young audience for jazz, but those
in my neck of the woods, know that I do.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband