[Dixielandjazz] Condon show?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Aug 3 20:31:39 PDT 2009

macjazz wrote:
> A friend on the Record guild board found this.  It is in a generic
> (white) cover and his is all the information he has.  He isn't into
> OKOM and can't even identify the tunes (I'm sure it's the usual
> repertoire).
> Can anyone shed any light on the record?
> "Eddie Condon, May 28, 1964, Indianapolis '500'" on both sides.
> There is a number: RG -279 on the A-side, and RG-280 on the B-side.
> Deadwax says the same thing.
> It's definitely a live show -- nice stuff, with very little crowd
> noise (not Indy 500-type crowd noise!).
> Any thoughts on who pressed it, or whether, indeed, Condon played a
> show before the '64 500?

Dear Mart,
On 28 March 1964 the Eddie Condon Band was in Japan, or on a plane
home from there.
It had just been to Australia. (I know we spent a weekend with them at
the time.)
Buck Clayton (t) Vic Dickenson (tb) Pee Wee Russell (cl) Bud Freeman
(ts) Dick Cary (p,alto-hrn) Eddie Condon (g) Jack Lesberg (b) Cliff
Leeman (d) Jimmy Rushing (vcl)
I have on file details of a concert performance in Osaka on 27 March
1964. Eleven titles were released on a blank label LP. I have details
and track order.
Wikipedia provides the following information: "The 1964 Indianapolis
500 was held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Saturday, May 30,
1964. It was won by A.J. Foyt, but is best known for a fiery second-
lap accident that resulted in the deaths of Eddie Sachs and Dave
MacDonald, involving a total of seven cars."
The Indy races in 1963 and 1965 were also held at the end of May.
If you could somehow obtain the tune titles, or name a musician or two
on the disc, it may help identification.
In the meantime, I'll do some more digging.
Kind regards,
Bill.