[Dixielandjazz] Which Recording Mics? (Please, everyone read the P.S.!)

John Wilder JohnWilder at Comcast.net
Thu Apr 30 16:45:08 PDT 2009

Hi Bill (and all DJML'ers)!

First, I'll give you an extremely broad answer to your question about
recording mics below.  Mics made for live use (such as the Shure 57 & 58)
need to address the problem of picking up not only the intended sound (such
as your voice or guitar) but also the sound that comes out of the speakers,
which creates a feedback loop.  Therefore, stage mics are usually designed
to pick up sounds that originate close to the mic and reject sounds that are
more in the background, so as to minimize feedback problems.

In a studio situation, the mic doesn't have to deal with having an amplified
version of what it is picking up played back within the studio during
recording, so there is no danger of feedback.  Therefore, studio mics can be
made to pick up sound more evenly and naturally, like you would normally
hear it.

That being said, even when you're not fighting feedback in a studio, you
still may want to increase separation of the sounds being recorded.  This
avoids, or at least minimizes the problem of having to re-record the sax
part when fixing the trumpet part for example, because the old trumpet part
also bled over into the sax mic.  Even though they're on separate tracks, if
they bleed over into each other's mic then when you re-record the trumpet
part on his track, you'll hear the new trumpet part from his track, but also
an echo of the old trumpet part that is on the sax track along with the sax
player's part.

Once the problem of separation is handled as well as possible, studios
frequently use condenser mics for vocals, acoustic guitar and any other
source when extreme clarity is desired, as they tend to get a cleaner,
crisper and more articulate sound than dynamic mics (Shure 57 & 58 are
dynamic mics).  All condenser mics need either a battery or phantom power to
operate, and dynamic mics never do.  (Most modern mixer boards have phantom
power built in.)

The down side of condenser mics is that most of them can't handle extreme
sound volume levels, such as a trumpet playing loudly right into the mic, a
heavy metal player's bass drum mic'd inside of it or maybe a rock singer
screaming at the top of his voice into the mic.  (Not sure how often you'd
be screaming into the mic, Bill.)  Dynamic mics are a better fit for these
very high sound pressure level situations, even in studios.  In the last few
years a few condenser mics have actually been designed for use on the live
stage, but these may or may not be your best choice for studio use.

As to condenser mics, a larger diaphragm recording mic will pick up
smoother, warmer vocals, acoustic instruments, etc. while a smaller
diaphragm condenser will be better for crispness, such as the sizzle of a
ride cymbal.  In fact, small diaphragm condenser mics are sometimes sold in
pairs to be used for stereo pickup, or cris-crossed above the drum set for a
stereo separation of the sound.

The price of good recording condenser mics has come way, way down recently,
and one can find a wonderful small diaphragm (or even large diaphragm)
condenser mic for around $100.  Considering that SM58 dynamic usually sells
at street price of $99, I would say recording mics won't break the bank.  Of
course, you could pay thousands of dollars for recording mics which would be
a little bit better, but since you're sending the signal to a home recording
setup, rather than a million dollar studio setup, the difference in quality
from the better mic won't matter anyway.  If you want to spend more money,
spend it on a decent compressor and/or effects unit, rather than buying a
better mic.  Each of these also start out around $100 each or so (and also
go up to thousands.)  You'll get way more bang for the buck by buying these
extra pieces than by spending more on the mic.  Also keep in mind that if
you're intending to record several voices and/or instruments at once you'll
need mics for each piece - one mic only records one thing at a time.

You should also know that some singers (particularly singers with rough,
raspy voices) actually prefer a dynamic mic - even in the studio.  That's
because a condenser mic is so good at picking up every crisp detail that it
exposes the singer's vocal defects, where a dynamic mic might smooth them
over and hide them a bit more.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.  Let me know if you have other
questions.

John Wilder

JohnWilder at Comcast.net

P.S. - To all DJML'ers - For quite some time I have been getting many
questions from musicians about how to buy, set up and use basic sound
systems for their bands.  This is not only here on DJML, but also in live
venue situations.

I've been thinking of producing a DVD (or perhaps a small series of DVD's)
on the subject of how a bandleader who knows absolutely nothing about sound
equipment can learn how to buy the right sound equipment for their needs
without overspending (or under-buying), and how to set up and use that
equipment to give your band that glorious and full "Wow" sound on stage.
The sound system can really enhance (or severely degrade) your impression on
the audience.  I'm thinking this would be somewhat of a "Getting Fabulous
Live Sound for Dummies" type of training, where I would stay as un-technical
as possible, and I would teach just the necessary basics without all of the
extra technical stuff that is so confusing.

Just to get an idea of the market for such a DVD, if some of you would be
interested in buying such a DVD (or helping me to promote it), could you
please send me a quick email (offline from DJML)?  If I get enough response,
I'll be motivated to get busy and produce it!  Thanks so much for your help!
I hope to hear from some of you soon!

JohnWilder at Comcast.net

Original Post follows:

I'll bet that there are plenty of musicians on the DJML that do home
recordings.  I was wondering, what is a general all-purpose mic, other than
the standard Shure 57 and 58, that are better mics than then 57 and 58, but
that won't break the bank to purchase .  In other words, that are up a notch
or two.

Bill "not-so-Shure" Sharp