[Dixielandjazz] Stars and Stripes

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 28 18:22:12 PDT 2009

eupher dude wrote [in part]:
> Which reminds me, I know there is a recording somewhere of a band
> doing jazz versions of Sousa marches.  I haven't had any success in
> finding it, though.  I figure someone here knows it.

Dear Steve,
I certainly do.
So does my mate Bob Metz sr.
The 'original' Bob Crosby Bob Cats recorded an LP for Coral in April/
May/Oct 1950 called 'Sousa Marches Dixieland Style'.
It came out as a 10" LP, then was reissued as a 12" LP with extra
items from 1957.
Magnificent stuff!!!
But, to my knowledge, never ever reissued on CD.
Why, I have no idea, but it certainly should be.
I am attaching an mp3 of "Stars And Stripes Forever" which, for me, is
the best track on the LP.
Unfortunately, DJMLers will not be able to receive this track because
of our no-attachments rule.
The personnel for this tune, recorded in LA on 10 April 1950 is:
Billy Butterfield, Yank Lawson (t) Cutty Cutshall (tb) Matty Matlock
(cl) Eddie Miller (ts) Dave Bowman (p) Carl Kress (g) Bob Haggart (sb)
Fred Pfaff (tu) George Wettling (d).
Very kind regards,
Bill (your web-footed friend from Oz).