[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis/Blakey and My Ship.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 19 06:16:53 PDT 2009

Caution may not be OKOM except for Mart and me. <grin>.

Hi Mart:

You meant his one? <grin>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=179eWrw8ZzM&feature=related (part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppjtiw2IeNc&feature=related  (part 2)

I prefer them on this song. (Little Man):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqtnVkIYFNw

I really like the bass player on these, Charles Fambrough. He is from
the Allentown/Bethlehem PA area and a year or so ago I was a sideman
in a Dixieland Band up that way with him on bass. He was extraordinary
in that he did not know the tunes, but had the changes down pat after
one chorus and swung his ass off. A real professional in every sense
of the word.

Blakey is another favorite of mine. Both for his drumming and his
dedication to giving a leg up to young jazz musicians. Though like
John Petters, I am not always a fan of the hard bop offerings of some
of his bands.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

On Apr 18, 2009, at 5:13 PM, macjazz wrote: (about John Petters not
liking Blakey)