[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 76, Issue 11

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 11 13:47:18 PDT 2009

On Apr 11, 2009, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> "Tavecchio, L.W.C." <L.W.C.Tavecchio at uva.nl>
>
> Did anyone know this statement by Duke, and when he said it?
>
> "Bud Shank is too much. I told him I had his contract ready, but I
> can't get him to leave California. He was the greatest part of
> Kenton's Neophonic concert the other night, and he was even greater
> with us the last two days. He even shook Johnny Hodges . . . Bud
> Shank is something else!"
> -- Duke Ellington

Dear Louis:
  The quote appears several times in various biographies of Bud Shank.
Here is the only source I could find that attributes it directly.
(more or less)

“Bud Shank is too much. I told him I had his contract ready but I
can’t get him to leave California. He was the greatest part of the
Kenton Neophonic concert the other night, and he was even greater with
us the last two days [recording the film score for Assault on a
Queen]. He even shook up Johnny Hodges. Bud Shank is something else.”
– Duke Ellington, 1966
[Footnote 10, page 204, Gordon Jack, Fifties Jazz Talk: An Oral
Perspective, [Oxford: Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2004].