[Dixielandjazz] 1920 jazz dance event

loerchen2 at aol.com loerchen2 at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 17:46:47 PDT 2008

Hi listmates,

There's been a lot of discusion about having the swing dance set at our gigs -- but if you want to see how people danced to early jazz before the Lindy Hoppers came on the scene, I've got an event for you!

On Nov. 8th in Clifton NJ,?the Metropolitan Vintage Dance & Social Club is hosting?a ball to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the end of WWI (hey Steve, remember that?? :-), to benefit the Morris Co. Historical Society.? There will be a dance workshop the afternoon of the ball, where they will teach dances of the 1910s and 1920s, like?the One-Step, Tango, Foxtrot, and Hesitation Waltz.? The ball itself is from 7-10 PM, and light refreshments will be served.

The band consists of Vince Giordano, Dan Levinson, Ken Salvo -- all of whom need no introduction -- and two young guys who just played the Chautauqua festival last week: Andy Schumm and Dave Bock (on cornet and trombone, respectively).? And me on drums for the first time on the East Coast....

Should be interesting, and if you're anywhere in the NY-NJ area, here's your chance to?attend a "real" ragtime/jazz dance and slip back in time; most people will be in period costume too.

For more info, check out http://www.acornhall.org?or e-mail me off list for a PDF copy of the flyer.

Hope to see some of you there!
Sue