[Dixielandjazz] The best Snake Rag ever.

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:54:26 PDT 2008

> Best ever? Pastiche it seems to me. Oliver's Creole JB did  best, surely?

Beauty lies in the ears of the listener.
Pastiche?  Hardly.  The Oliver versions, which I've had and cherished
for longer than I care to remember are around 3 minutes, even if only
due to the 10" 78 rpm record restriction.  The John Petters version is
three times that!

I don't wish to go into the "best ever" controversy.  And yes, I'd
probably go for the Olivers, but I'm biased - it has Armstrong on, and
Oliver still at the height of his power, so I cannot even pretend to
be objective.  Anyway, comparison between the accoustically recorded
Creole jazz Band and a modern recording is difficult.

True, Sims and Chesterman are not Armstrong and Oliver, but they are
a,ong the cream of the crop of contemporary cornet players, even if
Chesterman is not as well known as he should be.  Bailey is not Dodds,
but doean't try to be, and his playing sounds quite different, which
is as it should be.  Martin Litton surely is a better player than Lil
Hardin ever was.

To conclude, even if not "best ever," it is very good on its own
merit.  And if it is "pastiche," then all traditional jazz might be
called that.  Nevertheless, there are contemporary musicians who are
every bit as good as their predecessors, excepting a few (I don't
think anybody can match Armstrong), and their music stands in its own
right.

Support live jazz!

Cheers