[Dixielandjazz] Wall Street Rag

edmetzsr at aol.com edmetzsr at aol.com
Fri Sep 26 07:56:55 PDT 2008

Listmates, regarding Wall Street Rag, I have the original Billy May big band arrangement in the Bob Crosby Big Band Library, and we play it everytime we're out with the band since it swings so well. However, one of our last times out on?a Riverboat cruise (Mississippi Queen), we followed the Lombardo band. They played for the passengers for half the cruise and we followed playing to the same passengers for the other half. At the end of our very first set on our opening night, I closed with Wall Street Rag. A minute later, a passenger who loved Lombardo's waltz and Latin and sweet stuff, came up to the bandstand and ripped me a new one because of our crappy tune selection (South Rampart, Dogtown Blues, My Inspiration, March Of The Bob Cats, etc.) and told me that the last tune (Wall Street) was impossible to dance to and should be extracted from our tune list. "You stink, your music stinks and the band stinks" he told me. Did this ever happen to any of you? So be careful when you play the the WSR.

BTW, before my recent problem, I started on a 8 piece arrangement (4 horns, 4 rhythm) chart on WSR?for the Bob Cats. I'll finish it sometime in the next month or two while I'm recovering down here in Florida.
Regards, Ed Metz