[Dixielandjazz] Well, Git It! (was Eleanor Powell and Buddy Rich)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 24 22:46:15 PDT 2008

Dingo also wrote [in part]:
> The young trumpet player is I believe Graham Young. I've Googled
> until groggy without turning up any info about him......

Sorry John,
I forgot to reply to that bit in your message.
Where did Graham Young's name come from in relation to the Tommy
Dorsey orch?
The only connection I can find is that he and pianist Milt Raskin
worked together in the Gene Krupa band in 1941, just prior to Raskin
going over to TD.
Young's first records were made in Chicago in 1940 with Raymond
Scott's band.
He then moved to New York and recorded with Gene Krupa's Orch (Jan
1941- Jan 1942).
 From early 1946 to Sept 1947 he worked with Tex Beneke's Glenn Miller
Band.
He was with the Ken Hanna and Jerry Gray Orchs in Los Angeles in the
1950s and appears to have settled there, working in the studios as
during the 1950s to 1970s he appeared on records by Henry Mancini,
Frankie Carle and Billy May.
The last record session I have with Mr Young was in a small group led
by pianist/vocalist Robert Hicks in 1992.
Kind regards,
Bill.