[Dixielandjazz] little lost song........

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Sep 18 15:43:25 PDT 2008

jere young writes:

 > My wife's new favorite song is 'when the gang's all gone home . . . .
> When I googled the title, I learned from a thread entry by Bob Ringwald
> that
> this may have several sets of lyrics but the share the same melody.
(snip)

I don't believe that I said it may have several different lyrics.  I do
believe that I said it has several different titles.

Besides "When The Gang's All Gone Home" it is also referred to as "The
Torch" and very rarely "The Kansas City Torch."

When I had my radio show in Los Angeles, I used Monty Ballou's Castle Jazz
Band version as part of my closing theme.  It is really my favorite.  It
starts out with a nickel going into a juke box.

I am sure that Turk Murphy also recorded it.

I am sure that both recordings can be easily purchased somewhere on the
Internet.

--Bob Ringwald