[Dixielandjazz] Gene Schroeder

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 8 12:56:39 PDT 2008

At Condon's he was introduced as SSHRAIDER, or Schraider. You can hear
Condon call him that of some of the Condon Mosaic reissues, but I
forget which song it is where he is taking a solo and Condon calls out
his name.

When Chuck Traeger introduced him to us the first time he gigged with
us in Kenny Butterfield's Beale Street Stompers, circa late 1950s, it
was the same as above.  And so Kenny always called him Schraider when
introducing the band members to the audience and he never objected.
<grin>

Great player and a really wonderful man. Fun to be with.

On the other hand, I grew up with an Eddie Schroeder and his family
pronounced their name as Schroader.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband