[Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Cleveland

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Wed Sep 3 17:11:19 PDT 2008

Greetings to everyone from Palm Springs, CA.  It's great to see so many
familiar names on the list after so much time has passed by.  Just wanted to
assure you that I'm alive and well.  I retired from the  board of the
Dixieland Jazz Society of the Desert more than 4 years ago due to health
issues.  I'm currently starting my second year playing solo piano at
Cipolline Italian at 1260 S. Palm Canyon every Mon and Tues from 6 to 9 PM.
The owner loves jazz as do my customers.  I'm not certain that what I play
is trad, swing or bop.  After more than 50 years in the business as a
performer, the distinctions have seemed to blur a bit.  I remember when Turk
Murphy fired me from Earthquake McGoons in San Francisco during my second
week on clarinet with him.   It seems that someone saw me leaving Jimbo's
Bop City and in the early 60s and that was sufficient cause for termination.
In those days the distinction was certainly less blurred!

That you're still discussing exactly the same threads as you were when I
last was active on the list is hardly surprising because they were the same
when St. Peter was still the gatekeeper on this gig when the list first
started.

I guess old topics never die  and they don't fade away.  (You really have to
be old to know what I'm talking about here.)

I've been hosting a jam session at the local senior center here for more
than 10 years.  If you go to my completely out of date blog at
www.richardbroadie.com you can hear me doing a Barney Bigard (my mentor)
imitation on Mood Indigo that was taped by a guy who had never before held a
video camera.
The jam is every Wednesday from 10 to 12.  There is no admission charge and
I always offer a full refund if the "customers" don't like our music.

Dick (Melodious Thunk) Broadie