[Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Cleveland

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 15:23:54 PDT 2008

Hello Stan,
Just to be certain, do you like the music of either or both Johnson and
> Cleveland
Not really; that's why I have joined a DIXIELAND mailing list, not a
bebop or modern mailing list.  I love swing, yes; I listen to Charlie
Parker and Diz, but then, it's like with BG, who, having said he did
not like bebop, was confronted with "But you employ Wardell Gray, who
plays bebop" (quoted from memory), to which he replied "If what
Wardell plays is bebop, then I like bebop."
I did not invent the term; radio OKOM defines the term differently,
and I have taken the term from there.  To them and to me, it conveys
"traditional" (to me, this includes swing).
Cheers