[Dixielandjazz] Mystery LP

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Tue Sep 2 06:48:40 PDT 2008

Don Ingle wrote:
> Bill Haesler wrote:
>> Dear friends,
>> This is a long shot, as I've tried all the usual avenues without
>> success.
>> I have been loaned an LP from the 1960s issued by The Longines
>> Symphonette Recording Society.
>> [An Educational Service of the Longines-Wittnauer Watch Company (USA).]
>> LWS. 163.   Dixieland Jazz From The Terrific Twenties.
>> There is no useful useful information on the album sleeve or disc,
>> other than the tune titles with composer credits.
>> Side 1.
>> The Darktown Strutter's Ball, Wabash Blues, Clarinet Marmalade,
>> Johnson Rag, The Wang Wang Blues.
>> Side 2.
>> South Rampart Street Parade, Ja Da, When The Saints Go Marching In,
>> At The Jazz Band Ball, Tiger Rag.
>> A standard blurb on the cover mentions [in part]....American family
>> music....and that the Longines Symphonette has served to bring music
>> of all kinds into the American home on a carefully planed basis. . .
>> However, the inner protective sleeve has: Made in England with two
>> British Patent Nos.
>> The music is slick, very professional, is good swinging jazz (arranged).
>> The instrumentation is: a Billy Butterfield style trumpet,
>> McGarity-like trombone, clarinet, piano, trad banjo, bass and a Ray
>> McKinley parade type drummer.
>> The competent studio dixieland band could be from either the UK (very
>> possible) or New York.
>> Over to you.
>> Kind regards,
>> Bill.

> Or possibly L.A. as some of the West Coasties made alot of LP's made
> for sale in drug stores and places you wouldn't expect, ad have been
> shuffled around in several differrnt anthologise. Clyde Hurly made a
> few. as did Nappy LAMare, Fatool, even MAtty and Eddie Miller. I;ve
> got a couple of these in some shelves in a dark place waiting fro me
> to sprign for a new turntable so I can play them. There were even a
> fee side made by a few of the Pete Kelly's Blues players unfder a
> no-name band and off beeat one shot lable.
> Don Ingle

Egad: I guess I shouldn't try to write a post at 2:23 a.m. Even for  the
terrible typist I am, this was really typo hash. Deadlines make rush
artists of us all - but at least I edit copy before sending which was
not the case in this post. But Bill's post reminded me of several of
those no-name checkout counter LP's I had tucked away with West Coasties
making up a no-brand name  or made up band name. Now I have to find out
if my old Sherwood player can be rescued or start a hunt for a new one.
Damn, there goes the budget . . . and THANKS A LOT,  BILL!! You Ozian
trouble maker!
Don (pass theVisine) Ingle -- at a more reasonable 9:42 a.m.