[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee Russell

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 28 12:24:56 PDT 2008

Too bad those alive today who don't like Pee Wee Russell never said
that to Kenny Davern when they had the chance..

Davern credited Russell with being a huge influence on how he (Davern)
communicated with his horn.,  I heard Davern, close up more than once,
lambaste detractors of Russell, quite harshly.

Also interesting to read Dick Sudhalter's take on  Pee Wee.

I guess it is a personal thing, but I loved listening to Pee Wee live
in performance as well as on what few records I have left with him on
clarinet. Moreso than listening to Goodman.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband